Installation instructions Chevrolet mini starters
Q4203, Q4204, Q4401, Q4403, Q4501
Remove the old starter motor
- 1. Negative battery cable must be disconnected from the battery before installation.
- 2. Disconnect starter wiring and remove old starter.
- 1. This starter is intended for use on Chevrolet small and big block V8 engines and 90° V6 with either 153 tooth or 168 tooth flywheel.
- 2. Make sure the mounting surface of the engine block is smooth and free of paint.
- 3. Make sure to use the correct bolts to install the starter, older blocks use 3/8” and newer blocks M10 thread. Clean the mounting threads in the block using the correct tap. Mounting bolts are included in kit.
- 4. Q4203, Q4501. Temporary attach the mounting block to the engine. At this point do not bolt the starter to the mounting block. Hold the starter motor temporary up into the position on the mounting block. While holding the starter motor in place, check for clearance between the starter and the engine block and the also exhaust system.
Note there are six pairs of mounting holes located at 20° increments. Rotate the starter until you have roughly equal clearance on both sides of the starter motor. Using a marker pen, make a mark across the mounting block and the body of the starter motor. Remove the starter motor and the mounting block from the engine. Install the two M5 mounting screws into the pair of holes which allow the closest alignment of the previously made marks. Using an Allen wrench, tighten the bolts.
- 5. Check ring gear clearance: The starter pinion gear to flywheel to ring gear gap should be 1,0 to 2,5 mm (Fig B) when the pinion is it its relaxed position. This has to be checked in at least 4 positions by manually turning the crankshaft, If not in spec; verify that the ring gear is properly mounted. If the gap is too large or too small, add or remove shims, use the steps below.
- 6. Q4204, Q4401, Q4403. Remove the three mounting block bolts. Insert or remove the two shims (Fig D). One of each shim included in the kit.
- 7. Q4203, Q4501. Remove the two mounting block bolts. Insert or remove the needed shims see Fig A. Two round 1.5 mm thick circular shims included in the kit.
- 8. Check pinion clearance: When the pinion is engaged into the ring gear, there should be 0,5-0,75 mm backlash between them (Fig C). This can be checked with a wire gauge or a standard paper clip. If the fit is too tight, shim the nose using the rectangular shim. Two pc rectangular shims included in kit, (Fig A).
- Install the connector supplied in the kit to the wire that triggers the solenoid. Install the wire to the electrical triggering connection on the starter motor.
- Make sure that the battery is in good condition. Also the terminals to the battery need to be inspected. If the battery is placed far from the starter motor, pay attention to voltage drop.
- Install the battery cables and enjoy the powerful TORQQ starter.